If you’ve been to one of our events or viewed our Instagram, you know we have a slight obsession with kombucha. But not just any booch, Health-Ade Kombucha. It is amazing! But what is it exactly and why are we obsessed with it? We asked our amazing partners at Health-Ade Kombucha to educate us on all things booch (slang for kombucha) and this is what they had to say.
So what is Kombucha?
Kombucha is fermented tea (yup, tea) that naturally contains probiotics and healthy organic acids. It has been enjoyed across the world for thousands of years as a delicious and refreshing beverage that not only tastes good but makes you feel good.
How is it made?
Old-school kombucha is made via primary and secondary fermentation, though many brands try to hasten this very natural process. Simply put, fermentation is where friendly bacteria, yeasts, and enzymes (aka probiotics) eat the sugar in sweet tea and turn it into tasty, and slightly bubbly tea, also known as kombucha. A couple things to note – all kombucha is made with sugar (it’s more for the probiotics than for you) AND the highest quality ingredients will make the best tasting brew.
Health-Ade is made the old-fashioned way, the way nature intended--and we are proud to share their process because we work so hard to make the best tasting and highest quality kombucha consumers can buy.
What’s in Kombucha?
Four simple ingredients are used to make Health-Ade kombucha: organic black & green tea, purified water, organic evaporated cane juice, and their SCOBY (the kombucha’s culture.) For those delicious flavors, Health-Ade adds only the highest quality flavorings we can find. For our cold-pressed line, we add ONLY raw cold pressed juice from organic produce (that are juiced in-house, by the way).The Super-Tea line is flavored with “super-foods” found all over the world--so, not surprisingly they can’t always be cold-pressed. Instead, we find the highest quality extracts and powders, like Maca Root from the rainforests of Costa Rica! Few kombucha brands use cold-pressed juice or high quality ingredients for flavoring, and many use “fillers” like vinegar or water to bring the “taste” of fermentation up and the price down.
How about the process?
Health-Ade’s process is truly unique--and it can be said that we don’t know ANY other commercial brand that goes as far as we do to bring you REAL kombucha. Health-Ade pulls out all the stops to make the best brew which includes:
● Brew in super-small batches to control quality (2.5 Gallon brewing vessels)
● Ferment 100% in glass to prevent plastic/metal leaching (Health-Ade is the ONLY commercial brew that does this)
● Their kombucha undergoes both primary and secondary fermentation
● Flavor with the highest quality ingredients, like cold-pressed juice from organic produce (juiced in house) for their cold-pressed line
● Never force-carbonate our kombucha, to protect the probiotics
● Protects our kombucha from harmful UV light by packaging in amber bottles
● Never outsources our brew--it’s 100% owned and operated by Health-Ade and only Health-Ade is made there (trust us, this matters)
● The brew tells us when she’s ready--each batch is carefully tested for sugar and pH levels--and until she’s done, we keep it fermenting and don’t use any fermentation “agents” to hasten the process (yup, it’s a she)
● Never use any chemicals, dyes, or other “fake” processes or fillers
● 100% certified organic, non-GMO, kosher (except for California Grape), vegan, and gluten-free
So as you can see, Health-Ade really believes in bringing REAL food to the commercial shelf and that’s why they really go the distance. Want to try this delicious booch? Join us at our next bRUNch event, we always have Health-Ade on hand! Not only is it great on its own, but mix it with some vodka, gin, or bubbly and you have a nice adult beverage! #boozybooch We hope you enjoyed your lesson on booch.