Sweet and savory those are the first thoughts we have when we think of chicken and waffles. Chicken and waffles is perfect for every meal of the day. Our friends at Fort Collins Brewery have shared their recipe for Southern-Style Fried Chicken and FCB Spent Grain Waffles.
Southern-Style Fried Chicken and FCB Spent Grain Waffles are a fun and surprisingly simple meal to create. Golden brown and crispy fried chicken over FCB spent grain waffles with applewood bacon bits, FCB Chocolate Stout butter and maple syrup. This dish is served at FCB’s Modern Tavern on the weekends, this favorite is sure to please everyone. Want to make it at home? Here’s how:
Recipe yields 4 servings
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cleaned and patted dry
2 large eggs, beaten with 1 Tbs of water
4 strips of applewood smoked thick-cut bacon, cooked until crispy then chopped
Southern Style Flour Dredge
4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated garlic
3/4 cup Old Bay seasoning
1/8 cup kosher salt
1/8 cup black pepper
FCB Spent Grain Waffle
4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups FCB spent grain (can substitute Rolled Oats)
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Clean and pat dry each chicken breast, set aside.
2. Whisk all flour dredge ingredients together in a large bowl, set aside.
3. Beat eggs with 1 Tbs of water in large bowl, set aside.
4. Completely cover both sides of the chicken breast in flour dredge, then dip into the egg wash, and then once more into the flour dredge. Rest dredged chicken breast on a wire rack over a cookie sheet while your oil is coming to temperature, approx. 350-370º.
5. Heat oil in a countertop fryer, large cast iron skillet or Dutch Oven. Use tongs to place the dredged chicken in the oil. Fry for approx. 8 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165º. Keep in mind to fry in batches since the oil temperature will reduce as you add more chicken to the oil.
6. Place chicken in warm oven set to 200º to keep hot and crispy.
7. While your chicken is frying, mix all waffle ingredients into large bowl only until just combined. Pour approx. 1/2 cup of waffle batter (depending on on the size of your waffle iron) into the pre-heated and greased waffle iron and cook until golden brown, approx. 2 minutes.
8. For final plating, arrange waffle on the plate, cover with 1 or 2 fried chicken breasts and 1/8 cup of diced crispy bacon. Serve with Chocolate Stout butter (please see recipe below) and your favorite Maple Syrup.
Ingredients for FCB Chocolate Stout Butter:
1 lb. unsalted butter
1/8 cup FCB Chocolate Stout
1/8 cup brewed coffee
1/8 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1. In a sauce pan, mix Chocolate Stout, coffee, cocoa powder and brown sugar. Reduce on medium heat to half the original size.
2. Transfer to bowl to cool, while bringing butter to room temperature.
3. Using a hand or stand mixer, whip all ingredients until well combined, light and fluffy.
4. Can be served immediately or chilled in your fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Want more bRUNch recipes? Check out The bRUNch Run Cookbook.